Friday, August 14, 2009

Kael 14/08/09

“Are you going to keep me here forever? It’s already been a fortnight.” Jessie paced the room, glaring at Kael’s back. She found herself staring, caught by the graceful arch of wings, the lazy sway of his tail and the unconscious strength and dexterity of his position. He perched on the tip of a stalagmite.

He ignored her.

“You could at least look at me when I am talking to you!”

“If I did that I would never get any work done.”

Jessie let out a huff, gave him her back and plucked a text from a shelf. Thumbing through the pages she paused on the sight of a strange contraption and the unnaturally straight lines of what looked to be a map beside it. “Well, I still want out, I am going crazy! And what is this!” She jabbed the book in front of his face.

“That, little human, is a car. A method of transportation you humans once used. The drawing beside it are a set of blue prints on an engine. An engine, you can close your mouth, is what powers the car. Much as your heart pumps blood through your veins and allows your mouth to keep chattering on.” He pushed the book aside and went back to writing.

“Oh, so we once had these cars? What happened?”

“Humanity happened. You went to war, and destroyed your world. And you are still warring. And you will not stop bothering me until we go to the surface, will you?”

Heat rose to her cheeks, “I don’t want you to think me ungrateful! You saved my life, you have opened a whole new world to me and you haven’t eaten me… yet. But I need the sun, I don’t even know that it has been a fortnight. And your healing has made me nearly as before! See I just use this crutch now!”

Golden eyes skimmed over her and she heard him let out a puff of air, even as he closed the book, she knew she had won.

“Very well, gather your things. It’s time I hunted again.”

Squealing in glee, Jessie flung herself in his arms, toppling Kael into a pile of books with her on top.

“Oh my!” scrambling back, she quickly began gathering and stacking the books strewn across the cave floor. “I’m so sorry! Please don’t change your mind, I’ll have this room set to writes real quick.”

Flicking his tail, Kael stood, gathering his work and putting it safely out of harm’s way.

No comments:

Post a Comment