Saturday, April 4, 2009

Finland - Crossing Streets

A native Finn asked me for an example of what Finns did differently than people in Canada.

I told her one thing is how they cross streets. In Canada as long as the way is clear you cross the street, even if you have a Red Pedestrian light. You even jaywalk. Technically illegal but very rarely reinforced. And not just when the way is clear, we have people crossing the streets at random in Toronto. Drives the people in cars crazy.

And then if a pedestrian is on a rise in the middle of the street, cars generally, not always, but generally will slow down or stop so they can get completely across the street. This is only the case if there are no street lights where the person is crossing.

In Canada the driver gets all the blame if you hit an idiot that crosses where they aren't supposed to.

I then told her that in Finland a large majority will stand at the crosswalk, waiting for the Pedestrian light to go GREEN before they cross.

Which is all when and good, except that often there are no cars in sight or so far off that you can safely cross before it gets there. Also most Finns only cross and crosswalks.

She and her friend adamantly denied this, saying no! You must not be in Helsinki, we all cross is there are no cars!

And I say, and my English friends says No. There are so many Finns that do this that it isn't "just a few". It isn't just elderly or mothers. Most Finns will stand and wait until that light changes.

She then said, there is nothing wrong with standing there, if I am not in a rush I will wait for the light to change!

The English guy's and my jaw dropped to the floor. If you have spare time why the hell would you stand like a fool at the intersection staring at a light? Frankly I would have better things to do. Like maybe shopping, or getting a snack or taking in the sights... something better than standing at a crosswalk waiting for the light.

The Finn went on to say, well I will cross, except if there is a child without a grown-up, then I won't since it sets a bad example!

At this the Englishmen and I exchanged laughing looks, and said at about the same time, "I wouldn't have even noticed!"

No comments:

Post a Comment