Thursday, April 16, 2009

Seeing the Negative

Ever met one of those people that always see the negative in everything?

A former co-worker would always find something negative. For example it was a cloudy day, "It's dark and depressing out there" When the sky was blue, sun shining and the birds singing, she'd say "I hate this time of year, it's too bright!"

I think in the two months I knew her she did not say a single positive thing about anything.

For myself I can't get how a mind can stay so negative all the time and function. It was depressing just talking to her, I don't know why anyone would want to be in that state of mind.

And seriously it is a choice. A person can choose whether or not to have positive or negative thoughts. One of the treatments for depression IS changing cognitive thought patterns. And that method is much more effective in the long term than any drugs.

If I start thinking negatively, start hearing those "woe is me", "buts..." "I hate" thoughts in my head and change it around to the positive. 

It just take a little effort until your mind catches on and starts doing it automatically.

No comments:

Post a Comment