Saturday, April 4, 2009

Finland - Food & Work

Food.

The Finnish diet seems to be largely bread and potatoes. They have really, really good bread in a variety that you can't come close to in Canada, unless you go to specialty stores and even then you rarely get the quality.

I think it's is largely due to the fact Canada and the USA do not have the same quality standards in their products. The food here in Finland seems to be more nutritious, have more flavor and be more effective. I made some buns with the traditional Canadian recipe. I ended up with nearly double the amount the recipe indicated.

However food here is more expensive. On a good point you could say that is good. But veggies and fruits will burn a hole through your pocket rather fast. But they are good.

Well I'm told they are not even close to what you get in Asia (at least according to my brother who was recently there), such as Hong Kong, let alone Kuala Lampur (pardon the spelling). I think THAT is due to the fruits and vegs having to travel greater distances and therefore are not permitted to ripen as well.

That and the EU is getting more and more genetically modified foods. But at least it is more restricted and controlled here.

But the food is good here. I don't get why people come to Finland and say it tastes like crap.

I am more of the opinion that most Finns don't sit down and enjoy the meal. It is all rush and no savoring of quality ingredients and well made recipes.

Finns need to relax, sit down and take more than 10minutes to eat a 3 course meal. I mean seriously not even more Canadians are that bad!

The food isn't spice, but it is generally fresh and good quality. Generally you can taste the ingredients involved.

And my Canadian friends when eating Finnish fare at my home in Canada have all enjoyed it and frequently asked for recipes themselves.

So no it isn't a matter of taste, but a matter of apprecation and taking the time to enjoy a meal.

As I have heard now more and more. Finns seem to act like life is work. They don't stop to appreciate what they have. Though some do, but I have to say that Finns have a REALLY good work ethic.

They just need to relax. And not work and rush.

*Note coming to Finland in the summer is the best, a large majority of Finns are using holiday leave, around 6 weeks I believe. Though I think most take just 3weeks off in the summer so they have some for the rest of the year. By the way 6 weeks + government holidays ie Christmas, easter, etc etc. Finns get a lot of time of and know how to use it generally.

A lot of Finns travel or migrate to their relaxing summer cottages!

No comments:

Post a Comment