Monday, April 6, 2009

Gifts - Appreciation

I was brought up on the habit of bringing a gift to places you go to visit relatively formally(family, friends and acquaintances).

From visiting with relatives for coffee to a nice social dinner. Really it depends on how the invite was made. And sometimes that can throw you.

Gifts are genearlly something little, a box of chocolates, candles, napkins, flowers etc. It is sort of a thank you as well as a sign of appreciation for the person the effort they are showing for you.

I would not bring my best friends little random presents every single time I go for a visit.

this habit is something I was brought up on. 

But really deciding what to give and whether it is appropriate can be a serious headache!

Not to mention if you go out socially on formalish occasions you might end up broke. Thank goodness it is little gifts, or even flowers from your garden or something you baked.

Now I have been invited by my Uncle (really his wife) to Rukka for Easter. Because of Finnish social structure and polite behavior I do not have to bring anything. Since he is higher status than me, being an older relative.

However I'd like so show appreciation for him sharing the celebration and his cottage.

So I am going to buy a bottle of white wine. Problem is I know nothing of wine. So I will have to ask for help in the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment