Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Archetypes

I recently read through some of my past fiction stories and noticed that each of my heroes shared certain characteristics. The newer the writing the more defined these characteristics became.

I had not even realized that I was basing each character off the other. I thought I was coming up with something original.

And then I remembered that my favorite authors have done the same. I had read some of their early writings before they wrote the series that launched them, some free pieces, etc and saw that the heros all shared similarity. From physical features, past histories, skills and personalities.

And that with each writing the character had developed. I hadn't really liked their earlier books, but they were okay, just not complete yet.

It is like writers create a mold for their characters and constantly chisel at it until it is complete. then they can pour the story into it.

Similar to when artists make sketches of possible characters or scenery and refine that image or build on it until the final product.

Archetypes, gotta love em.

No comments:

Post a Comment