Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ramblings 1: Comment

Dear Deeply Introspective Anonymous Person,

Thanks for the comment!

When I was writing this I was following a stream of thought and as I started thinking about the many different forms of assumptions I forgot about KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid! To excuse myself a little (which I really shouldn’t do) I will say that this was a stream of thought (Ramblings are generally random topics that I let run wild in my mind as I attempt to record them!), as in it was free flow and I hadn’t really planned to type so much. When I realized what was happening in the end, which was further enforced by your comment, was that I was making WAY too broad strokes on the canvas, though it is kind of nice having them laid out!

The problem now is that I have even more to write about assumptions, really you could probably write a 2000 page essay or something on it! Well if you were REALLY wordy!

Okay, so I love to write and don’t mind having so much more to think about! Shh don’t tell anyone.

I agree with your comment about learning about yourself through experience, but I believe that you have to do both at the same time. That we can’t allow the external environment to control how we perceive ourselves, because even through interactions we develop more assumptions. I should probably go more into this later...

I don’t think I should have added the last part though it can be true. Hmm I am getting a bit lost in what I meant to say!

I will say this, and will later write more about it: (you triggered me into thinking about it, but at the moment I don’t have time (I’m at work, boo!)) I think we need to understand the unconscious assumptions first, the ones that trigger emotion. I believe that many people, myself included, are controlled by emotion. We have to let emotion flow through us, feel it, but not it control our thoughts and behaviors.

Well time to go, sorry if I misinterpreted something… probably come back and add or remove from this later when I read your comment more precisely!

 

1 comment:

  1. Hmm... assumptions aren't bad in or of themselves. Rather it is a bad idea to start a thought with a bad premise. The logical argument being bad premise will give you a bad conclusion. Bad assumptions always lead to faulty reasoning, while good ones can help build a good argument. It is always good to realize one's assumptions, check their validity and then base reasoning on the firm ground of known facts.

    I defer to Sun Tzu about knowing yourself: If you know yourself and know your enemy, you need not fear a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, then you will win as many battles as you will lose. If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will be defeated. Hence knowing your strengths, weaknesses and thought process is essential to getting ahead in life. That said, experiencing the outside world is also good as you are part of it anyways. And navel-gazing gets boring at times. :D Having a good solid foundation of self-knowledge helps with experiencing the world. Self-knowledge tells you how the world affects you and helps you respond to it in a positive, meaningful manner.

    By the way, I'm glad you have an audience that responds back. I can't seem to get mine to utter a word.

    ReplyDelete