Thursday, March 12, 2009

Culture Clash? Babies in the Cold

I have recently been staying in Finland and have noticed something, that I at least, find rather strange.

Perhaps people in Canada do it as well and I have just never seen it happen?

What I am talking about is the habit Finn's have of leaving babies outside in strollers or those little carrier seat things.

Are you surprised? If yes, that's good because then I am not the only one. If no, then how could I have missed it? Sure I'm not around babies all that often but I never thought that it was a common occurrence to put one's child on the deck or at the front door.

I will now just go on writing like perhaps this is only common in Finland, and perhaps other EU/Scandinavian countries.

Is this a way for the little tyke to get fresh air? To give some peace and quiet for the parents? I have noticed that they often put a baby monitor in with the kid. Do they sleep better out in the cold? And by the way yes it is cold out from -1 to -12 that I've seen these kids out.

Is it to make them adapt? Is it something that has always been done and never considered why?

I am not outraged on behalf of the baby, just puzzled as to why. I'm all for giving the kid fresh air but it seems odd since I'm so used to seeing babies bundled up and treated like the most fragile of crystal ornaments.

I figure it is probably little different than taking the baby for a walk in a stroller or going from point A to B.

But still... is it just that I'm Canadian? Raised with a western view? Unobservant that they do this in Canada and the USA as well?

I think what struck me the most was when I saw the babies in the strollers on the front door step and not an adult in sight. Frankly, if I was in the states and some areas in Canada I'd be too paranoid to do this, afraid someone might snatch my kid. By the way, no I don't have any kids.

Is it that the West is more dangerous?

I don't know... I'm going to have to ask a Native Finn about this, because all I can think is "Huh...?"

No comments:

Post a Comment