Monday, March 30, 2009

Authors: Nora Roberts

If you live in Canada or the USA, and probably many other countries, and you have walked through the Romance/Fiction section of your Book Store you might have noticed the rows upon rows of books written by Nora Roberts.

In a couple of stores she has an entire wall or two devoted completely to her books.

I swear she comes out with a book every month.

The books are duplicates, variations of a common theme. Almost all her heros are Irish or of Irish descent. The guy always does nothing wrong but has to apologize to the woman who misunderstood him and over reacted or was actually the one at fault.

The sentences are cliche, the story is the same and the characters always shaped by the same mold.

Nora Roberts hit the jackpot. She figured out what her audience loves and writes exactly that.

Her earlier novels and series were far more original, and much more creative, and actually varied and plot and you couldn't always predict the events to the end. (Okay for the most part you could, but not as much as you can now).

I think all those books were written before the mid 1990s.

I almost wonder if Nora Roberts is now an organization of many writers that just follow her planned layout. Kind of like Harlequin.

I should go and check how often she releases books. Because she sure write fast. But if she is writing it can't say I'm surprised since it is practically the same book every time...

Oh, and she is also J.D. Robb so she is publishing as two authors.

I have to say I'm impressed either way at her success... though I stopped reading her books when I realized they had all become clones.

1 comment:

  1. "I have to say I'm impressed either way at her success... though I stopped reading her books when I realized they had all become clones." This statement contradicts itself. Is it possible to be impressed and not want to read it? (ie. if there is an impressive meal in front of me, i'm eating it)

    ReplyDelete