Monday, March 30, 2009

Comment: Feeding Your Pet

Hi Lee Ryan,

I am no animal expert or health expert, let alone professional. 

I do not know what you normally feed your dog, or the type of dog you have.

But here is my response to your comment:

From my own experiences, through osmosis, from television, websites, books, magazines and research, I believe you didn't hurt your dog.

You just gave him a tasty treat, which probably was a lot healthier than most dog treats. 

You got the meat from a local farmer, and assuming he doesn't inject or feed his animals with excessive growth hormones or other drugs.

Generally, the more raw the food you eat the better it is for you, however with today's world you risk a variety of diseases since most of our immune systems have been damaged by pollution and other toxins and lack of contact with a variety of bacteria due to excessive sterility (cleanliness).

Here is what I go by when buying for myself, and any animal for that matter: The less ingredients the better. If you can't understand the label then that food probably isn't good for you. It is most likely synthetic and made from a lot of oil-based chemicals.

As long as you didn't pour on a ton of salt and sauces your good to go. One steak isn't going to harm your dog. And most likely it might be even healthier for your dog to eat that than his regular food.

Grilling the meat is a type of processing so your dog won't have gotten as much out of the steak as he could have, next time try a rare one if you didn't this time. You want to avoid fried fats, (any fat that has been heated up is processed and our bodies (not sure of dogs) aren't designed to process that)

A lot of owners cook for their pets, this can often be expensive, but might be healthier if you do your research and find out what your dog really needs in his diet.

I don't know this for a fact, but I don't think a dogs natural diet includes the amount of corn and wheat most pet foods contain.

I conclude with do your research, don't just read what the pet food manufacturer says, remember he makes a profit from you and will twist his words to make you believe in his product.



Remember when researching to check who funded the study, often you will find it is the pet food manufacturers in the background. Though research is supposed to be unbiased, pure and everthing good it is often higly influenced by who does the funding and can be heavily skewed or censored.


If there are any errors in this post feel free to contact me and I will correct them.

And once again I speak only from my experiences and studies and make NO CLAIM to be an expert, phD or doctor.

1 comment:

  1. The beef bone didn't have a lot of meat or fat on it, but there was some; about what you'd expect when someone trims around a bone. I tried to give it to him raw, but he wouldn't eat it that way. Once cooked however, it was gone in 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete