Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ramblings 10: Friendship

Recently the topic of friendship has been popping up a lot in conversations.

What makes a great friend? Is it just someone you can have fun with and hangout or someone that you can strip your self completely bare (metaphorically), just be you and know you will be accepted?

How often is it that you meet a person with whom you can be yourself, know that it is safe to be yourself with that person and not afraid to be judged or laughed at. How often does it go both ways?

I think it is an incredibly rare thing to have a true friend, someone you know will be there, to lean on, support you and also that you will be there for the other person.

I think a lot of relationships between people are imbalanced.

Many put their sense of self, their security into something completely external, be it family members or physical objects.

I think when you aren't centered within yourself  you can't make friends. Because if you are externally focused then you are dependent.

You are dependent

To me being dependent on another for my reason of being, for my happiness seems wrong. You can't be fully realized if you don't love yourself, accept yourself and this is a rare thing.

In a relationship, yes you want to be happy, but it can't be the sole reason you are happy, you have to be able to make yourself happy. 

Rather a relationship could enhance, or have a cyclical affect. The whole yin yang balance.

You are whole in yourself but you can be more.

I don't think I am describing this too well, but maybe you got an inkling what I think I'm trying to say. 

2 comments:

  1. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:%E4%BA%BA-order.gif

    --- "Human" in Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:%E6%88%91-torder.gif

    ---"Me" in Chinese

    ReplyDelete