Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Response: Ramblings 9

Nice to see comments, and o you copycat Jane! Heh

Well I didn't meant to imply this behavior was just towards North America, that's just my immediate. And I get it, I really do, it's far away, Canada doesn't get much coverage and probably doesn't play as big a role in history books.

But it's done all over. I often hear negative comments about people from different countries, like Italians are lazy, wifebeaters, uneducated and never move out of the home. People from Africa are all criminals. And stuff like that. This is what I find appalling.

It's just that the Canada/USA thing strikes the closest to home.

And yes, it is partle ignorance and inexperience with other cultures. And what irks me a bit is that a lot of Finns consider themselves worldly, experienced, sophisticated and educated. And then they talk about peopl from other countries in such away!

A lot of Finns go on exchanges to different schools and universities when they are young. They talk about their experience frequently from their times in Finland.

But a lot of what I heard is that they didn't experience, sure they were there 4 years but they still see only stereotypes and make massive generalizations.

Yeah, I know we all do this from time to time. And not all Finns are like this, I've met a lot of great ones. But the fact that this attitude is in the Media, newspapers, television and what not kinda just shocks me.

And yes Henri, I totally get what you mean, it's like the Finns that went of exchanges and just didn't live it.

Next post I should say a little about the other Canadian I met here and his reaction to Finns!

My apologies to all the Finns that don't think at all like this.

And don't let this post turn you off visiting Finland. It's a lovely country. Finns love practicing their language skills on all the people they meet and taking you out to a bar or a party of some kind. And if you just step up and ask, they love to help and assist as well. Not all of course, but quite a lot.

I have had a lot of positive interactions with Finns. 

Also in recent years Finland has had an great increase in immigration, due to the EU and the wars. So they have two types of foreigners living with them, refugees and immigrants.

Finland has been for a very long time a humogenous country, so I can understand the struggle to adapt to the change. Canada and the USA pretty much grew up on immigration. European countries have not.

Older generations are much more likely to stereotype and have negative views whereas younger generations are much more relaxed, and many are open to getting to know the newcomers. 

Still the media needs a kick in the ass, since a lot of it is controlled by the older generations.

I guess a large part of my strong reaction comes from my cultural sensitivity. And as we know media doesn't always reflect the majority view.


No comments:

Post a Comment